I know you all are still reeling from the freedom I afforded you earlier this week from pizza box recycling issues, but I need to put some stuff out there tonight, people. Are you OK with that? Can we be real for a bit, and do life, and maybe walk through a season together?
Oh, who am I kidding? It’s Friday night, y’all are probably all out doing something cool and cultural and awesome, or you’re tucked up in bed like a sensible person. Either way, I just need to put this day down on paper so someday in the future I can look back on the crazy that was my life and shake my head and pat myself on the back a time or two. Seriously.
So I’ll just tell you what I did today, and then maybe you can do a cheer or The Wave or something. Then someday I’ll do it for you, deal? Cause I am tired, people, tired down into my bones and my metatarsal cartilages and whatnot. Today, I:
- counseled my brain-injured, cognitively delayed 20-year-old niece (for whom I am legal guardian) on her love life, and helped her think through the characteristics of a mature Christian relationship;
- processed ten pounds of pears to make a batch of pear sauce;
- mentally rehearsed and fine-tuned my stand-up for a HEINOUS 8:30 a.m. performance time at a conference tomorrow;
- performed the summer to winter clothing swap/shuffle with all necessary sorting, reorganization, rotating and donating for all three boys;
- screwed up an important Life conversation with my 18-year-old niece/foster daughter but then made up for it by apologizing for unsolicited and annoying verbal fixing and meddling;
- validated and encouraged a Dear Friend who is struggling with an unacceptable work situation;
- made a batch of cocoa with little marshmallows for the crazy 6 year old who played in the rain and the lazy 9 year old who stayed in his pajamas;
- packed up and delivered the middle schooler to his overnight with the youth group;
- and trembled in mild terror while planning to assist in worship at my church tomorrow night for the first time.
Dude, that is crazy, right? Some days, it is a lot, it is heavy, and it is ridiculously more than I can bear; and it is wonderful, and an honor and everything I have asked for in life. All at the same time.
I know that the One who created the universe has got my back, and He is directing all of it and He will not let me fail His purposes. But by golly, my metatarsal cartilages and I are done for today. Good night, and thanks for listening.
What crazy heavy thing do you need a pat on the back for this week?